Who We Are
Harmony Outreach is a team effort of Christians from the United States, China, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Europe who have all come together to reach out with hands of love to the world. Our two mandates are to Spread the Knowledge of Jesus and Help the Vulnerable.
In 2001 when God first called me out of the practice of law and set me on a course that led to China as a missionary—and ultimately to founding Harmony Outreach—I was a middle-aged attorney who had never been to Bible school, had no background in Chinese culture, didn't speak a word of the language, and had no support in place whatsoever.
I didn't seem a very likely candidate to be one of His representatives to the people of China, but I went in faith, remembering that God called an old Bedouin to deliver the Israelites from Egypt and a shepherd boy to be King of Israel. He called a fisherman to be his apostle to the Jews and a Pharisee to go to the Gentiles. I was unqualified by every measurable standard. It didn't matter—God had called me.
Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant." (2 Cor. 3:5-6)
Harmony Outreach Founded
The result of answering that call is that I became the Founder and Executive Director of Harmony Outreach, a ministry whose mandate is to spread the knowledge of Jesus and to help the vulnerable throughout the 10/40 Window—in China, Ethiopia, Cambodia and Vietnam.
- China: The cornerstone of our ministry is Harmony House orphan rescue home near Beijing, China. Harmony orphans have been adopted all over the United States and the world.
- Ethiopia: In early 2011, Harmony expanded into Ethiopia where we support five orphan homes and are partnering together to help promote and expand the evangelical church in Ethiopia.
- Cambodia: In 2012 Harmony's work spread to Cambodia where we train indigenous pastors, are in partnership with the government to help orphans in Phnom Penh, have established our Learn2Work Center outreach to university students in Phnom Penh, and have joined the fight against trafficking and sex exploitation.
- Vietnam: In 2013 Harmony Outreach moved into Vietnam where we began training underground pastors and ministry candidates in Ho Chi Min City (Saigon). Then in 2014, we were requested to bring our training of underground pastors and ministry candidates to Hanoi as well. In 2016 Harmony sent 30 U.S. pastors to train indigenous pastors in Vietnam.
In addition, Harmony frequently provides for the poor:
- Water wells on church properties in remote village communities that lack access to clean water
- Surgeries or other medical relief to the needy
- Scholarships to help orphans and young people
- Rebuilding or refurbishing houses
- Disaster relief
When God first called me out of the practice of law, little did I realize how intense the battle would be and how hotly Satan would contest me. I knew God could be trusted to meet our financial needs because He is the One who provides manna from heaven and streams of water from a rock for His people. What I did not know—and could not foresee—was all of you. You came so quietly, one by one or in small groups, to meet us in the gap and join us in our work.
Jesus said, I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will go in and come out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:9-10)
There is no doubt that this work is difficult—but it is also abundant life! And one of the things that makes it so beautiful and intense is the joy and courage we feel staring down our formidable enemy knowing that you have taken your stand with us—on our right and left—and our Captain is before us!
Our mission is to spread the knowledge of Jesus and to rescue the vulnerable in some of the most difficult and unreached areas of the world. All four of our countries are in the 10/40 window—areas marked by repressive governments, poverty and spiritual darkness. Our work is igniting pinpricks of light throughout these countries by training pastors, helping village churches, providing sources of clean water, rescuing girls out of trafficking, reaching university students and helping orphans be adopted by their forever families.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.